we recognize that not everybody is going to agree with everything we believe.
We don’t expect that.
In fact, we gladly and warmly welcome people no matter where they are on their spiritual journey – whether skeptical about the Christian faith, spiritually seeking, or trusting in the gospel of Jesus Christ. However, just as with every other church, we have certain theological beliefs that will perhaps make us distinctive in our community.
We are a church that is empowered by the Gospel.
What is the Gospel? It is the announcement (literally “good news”) that Jesus’ resurrection was the beginning of salvation for the entire cosmos and will be completed when he returns. God is restoring the original peace of his creation (described at the beginning of the Scriptures in Genesis 1 and 2) through the work of Jesus, and is renewing individuals, families, cities and nations as people trust and follow Christ.
How do we celebrate the Gospel? Through faithful proclamation and obedient demonstration. Weekly worship services are an opportunity for everyone to hear how God is setting things to right and to thank him publicly for it. This public celebration “spills over” to the rest of our lives as we serve our neighbors as Jesus has served us. This is why our church is always looking for new ways to be good neighbors.
We are a church that is connected with other churches
As a reformed Baptist church our beliefs are consistent with the Acts 29 Statement of Faith and the Baptist Faith and Message. Our denomination, like others, is not without flaws. A denomination, like a family, cannot help but be shaped by its past, its successes and failures, its joys and hurts, its origins and ancestors. Each one is not without its blind spots, its peculiarities, and even its grievous errors.
Yet, the SBC emphasizes that God is gracious, that salvation comes through Jesus by faith, that the Scriptures are authoritative, and that the mission of the church is to enrich the world with God’s renewing peace. Thus, our partnership with the Acts 29 church-planting network on a regional and national level bolsters CityChurch as we seek to bring spiritual, social and cultural renewal to the city.
We are a church that exists for the benefit of the city
As you can see, CityChurch is committed to proclaiming the Gospel in everything we do. The test of our effectiveness will be threefold.
First, are people trusting in Christ for the first time in their lives and are those who follow Christ growing in their commitment to him?
Second, is our commitment to Christ visible to our friends and neighbors? Do the people in our city know that we are here to glorify God by loving and serving them and would they miss this church if it were to “close its doors”?
Third, is this congregation planting and nurturing other churches throughout South Florida? We will be most effective in changing Pompano Beach with the Gospel when all three elements are present.
We are a church that is Reformed in its theology
- We believe the Bible to be the inspired, the infallible, authoritative Word of God.
- We believe that there is one God, eternally existent in three persons: Father, Son, and the Holy Spirit.
- We believe in the deity of our Lord Jesus Christ, in His virgin birth, in His sinless life, in His miracles, in His vicarious and atoning death through His shed blood, in His bodily resurrection, in His ascension to the right hand of the Father, and in His personal return in power and glory.
- We believe that for the salvation of lost and sinful people, regeneration of the Holy Spirit is absolutely essential.
- We believe in the present ministry of the Holy Spirit by whose indwelling the Christian is enabled to live a godly life.
- We believe in the resurrection of both the saved and the lost; they that are saved unto the resurrection of life and they that are lost unto the resurrection of damnation.
- We believe in the spiritual unity of believers in our Lord Jesus Christ.